Navigating Social Situations
We often hear that overcoming addiction can be an ongoing, lifelong journey. Navigating the holidays, group celebrations, going back to school, or just an everyday get together can be very difficult for those in recovery – especially when everyone around you seems to be having a drink or dabbling in behaviors that might be tempting for someone battling addiction.
There are so many questions to be answered. No matter what the situation may be, there are a number of helpful and empowering reminders that can enable you to maintain a fulfilling social life, while prioritizing a healthy and happy recovery.
Below are a few tips for those overcoming addiction
1. Surround yourself with those who truly care about you and themselves. This means investing more time and energy into relationships with friends and family who themselves are committed to a healthy lifestyle and, as difficult as it may seem at first, distancing yourself from those who are not. Positivity, encouragement and support is so important.
2. Engage in or even initiate sober activities. Take up a sport or a hobby where you will meet new people who enjoy sober activities and also develop an interest for an activity you’ve always wanted to try.
3. Choose your activities wisely. If you feel that you won’t be able to say no to a drink, simply state that you can’t make it to the event. If you are comfortable doing so, explain why and if not, that’s ok too. No one can force you to do anything you’re uncomfortable doing or to share information you’re not ready to yet.
4. Don’t fear the change. It is natural to fear how your social relationships will change and it won’t always be easy. Make it a point to let your loved ones know that you’re still there and the same person you’ve always been, but that you are going through a transition to a new, healthier lifestyle. As the old saying goes, those who matter don’t mind and those that mind don’t matter.
5. Remember that you can’t control everything around you, but you can control YOU.
For more information: Reawakenings Wellness Center: reawakeningwellness.com